After reading hundreds of messages across various internet sites and Twitter it is becoming increasingly evident that a large chunk (if not all) of Xbox One consoles sold in the past few days have a “coil whine” noise problem. You can hear it in this YouTube video:
Microsoft already has told Kotaku and Gamespot it has acknowledged the issue, but the company down-played it by saying it only affects “a small number” of systems. The evidence however clearly shows it is a much larger problem. I read numerous reports of consumers exchanging their Xbox One console 3-4 times (see below) at their local retailer to no avail. All of the exchanged consoles have the same “coil whine” noise problem.
It is more likely a large percentage of current shipments are impacted with these bad coils. Let’s hope Microsoft can get this coil parts supply chain fixed into the holiday because if it doesn’t it would spell disaster for sales reminiscent of the red-ring-of-death from the Xbox 360 days. In the mean-time I would not buy an Xbox One console until we get confirmation this issue is resolved.
Examples of “coil whine” noise reports:
1) “I went through 4 from Amazon. After the 4th, they told me I needed to take a refund because they couldnt continue to replace the units. I then took my business to Target. After the 3rd one at Target, I got another refund and essentially just gave up.” Link
2) “This is the FIRST of THREE Xbox Ones I’ve had in the past 24hrs … I’m now returning the 3rd one and NEVER buying and Xbox One again” Link
3) “I went back to Best Buy today to get my replacement X-box one and the lady behind the register said this is the 4th one being replaced today” Link
4) “Just gave my xbox one to the transport guys to ship it back and get a refund. This was my 4th one already” Link
5) “I got my replacement Xbox Form Microsoft directly today. The noise is still there” Link
6) “he returned to the store, they open and tested 5 consoles just to find all of them had the same problems” Link
7) “bought a kinectless xbox 2 days ago and had this issue. Replaced it today, it’s updating now and the noise is there again. It’s incredibly annoying” Link
8) “I’ve had 3 brand new european xbox ones with that same irritating noise” Link
9) “I am now on my 4th noisy 1540-1425X.” Link
10) “The same problem here. 4 infected consoles.” Link
11) “I have around 6-8 friends that bought Xbox Ones when it came out here in Sweden. About half report this noise problem.” Link